Saturday, March 13, 2010

Mar 12 2010 from Cleveland

Hello my dear Son,

Yes, you're correct that yesterday was a busy day in Cleveland for your Mum! I had intended to email you late last night, but then I fell asleep. Now it is 5 o'clock in the morning on Friday 12 March. So all is well! I am awake very early to start another busy day.What time do you get up on school days?

I'm very glad to receive Hilda's address! I will tell you when I have mailed the "Lost Boys of Sudan" books -- it should be early next week. I will send one copy for Hilda and one for my fine Son!

You have made a wise schedule of going to the Internet Cafe in between your Morning and Evening classes at Learnit College. I'm sorry that you have to return tonight because of my sleepiness!

At the University of Dar Es Salaam, I was one of a few U.S. delegates to the "Pan African Reading For All Conference." Most of the 600 delegates were from African countries. The conference is for teachers, professors, publishers, and others who want to help more African people learn to read. I was one of the lecturers at the conference, and I also attended many other lectures every day.

The conference is held once every two years, and always in a different African country. In 2009, it was in Dar Es Salaam, of course. Prior to that, in 2007 it was in Ghana. Next time, in 2011, it will be in Botswana. I don't know yet if I will attend the Botswana conference. Right now I don't think I will, but we'll see what God wishes in time.

I have a few different jobs here in Cleveland. One of my jobs is helping adults learn to read -- "Adult Literacy." There are many adults in the U.S. who did not finish basic school and therefore they can't read their native language, English. I attended the conference because I am interested to find out what is the same and what is different in U.S. and Africa regarding problems with "literacy." The same thing: poor people in U.S. and Africa do not have access to good schools. Different thing: in Africa, all the people strongly desire education and will do everything humanly possible to get education, but in the U.S. many people think education is unimportant and they don't care about it.

Yes, I did receive the cost of the mattress of 75,000 shillings. On Monday 15 March, I pray that God will make it possible for me to send you extra money, along with the $150 USD, so you can buy the mattress.

MAY GOD BLESS MY DEAR, FINE, CARING, BRILLIANT SON BASHIR!

Your devoted and loving Mum

No comments:

Post a Comment